Thursday, March 26, 2009

We've hit a speed bump...

I just finished seeing my midwife today. During her routine checks, she felt like the baby might be breech. She felt around quite a bit and decided we needed an ultrasound. They took me back to the u/s room and sure enough, this baby is feet-first into my pelvis. The head is up rubbing against the bottom of my sternum, and the back and hiney are lined up along my right side. This is not good!

She asked if I had felt any major movements to indicate that the baby had flipped and I have not. I don't know if the baby has been this way the entire time and what we thought was a head in my pelvis was really a hiney or what. The ultra sound showed that I don't have a lot of fluid in there either. She said I have just enough to try an external version.

At this point, I am now bumped up to see the actual OB instead of the midwives. I have a few options, but none of them are very enticing. I can just schedule a c-section, or I can try the external version and hope we can get the baby to flip. They are concerned enough that they want to do this TOMORROW. I can't even have the weekend. They don't want to risk me going into labor on my own. First thing tomorrow morning I'm going in to try for the external version.

There are a few risks to it, but she said it was low. However, they do this in the hospital just in case. When I go in tomorrow, they will process me as if I am going in for a c-section. I will have blood tests, an IV, and immediately be put on monitors. They want to make sure that the baby does ok with this as well as make sure my placenta doesn't get separated from the uterus in the process. There are four possible outcomes from tomorrow.
1. Baby flips, but my cervix isn't favorable. I go home and we induce next week.
2. Baby flips, my cervix is favorable and we induce tomorrow.
3. Baby doesn't flip, but doesn't become distressed and we have a c-section next week.
4. Baby doesn't flip, becomes distressed and I have an emergency c-section tomorrow.

I'm not thrilled with my options. I really don't want a c-section. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow as it will be pretty painful and we don't know how it will go. I have no idea if I will have a baby tomorrow or if it will be next week. They didn't check me today since I will be in the hospital and they will check me (probably a lot) tomorrow. I have no idea if I'm dilated or thinned at all.

Please everyone pray that this little one will flip over and I'd even be ok with an induction tomorrow. It's not ideal since we have friends in town visiting and I really wanted to hang out with them, but I'll take having my kiddo instead! :) Plus, I really didn't want to do the pitocin thing, but at this point, if we can get this kid head down I'd rather we rock & roll before s/he has the opportunity to flip again. (Plus, this kid is big--and it's gotta come out!!) :)

I will do my best to keep everyone posted as we know anything. We probably won't have any news until tomorrow afternoon at the earliest.

Other than breech, everything looks good. The baby is big (over 8lbs guesstimated today), the heartbeat is strong. Though, today it was the slowest it's ever been. It's been in the 150's the entire time, but today it was in the 130's. I'm doing fine and I'm healthy. I'm right on track for weight and my Group B Strep came back negative. Everything for this pregnancy has been very good until today. Breech isn't necessarily bad, but it's not ideal.

Please pray for both this little baby and for me tomorrow.

Thank you!!

5 comments:

  1. Praying for Baby Holt to flip! I'll be thinking about you tomorrow morning. Hang in there, it's ALMOST over!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kristina! Goodness gracious! I will be praying for and thinking about you tomorrow. Everything will be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously praying that baby rearranges tonight in your sleep. Praying for a healthy baby and a great labor and delivery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoping the little one is flipping right now and soon you are holding them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just prayed for you! Yope things are going well right now!!

    ReplyDelete