Monday, June 1, 2009

Wyatt meets "Big Grandpa" & "GGpa"



I'm trying to get myself caught up on blogs. I've been meaning to share these pictures for quite a while now! However, the last few weeks have been a bit busy. haha!

When Wyatt was just 21 days old, we all headed to AZ. While there, I wanted to make sure that Wyatt got to meet & get some pictures with both of his Great Grandfathers. Since Wyatt is not the first great grandchild on either side, the names for both of them have been previously chosen. We call Great Grandpa Ed (Kristina's Maternal Gpa) "GGpa," using the initials from "Great" & "Grandpa." Great Grandpa Bane (Kristina's Paternal Gpa) goes by "Big Grandpa." Now, this is not a commentary on anyone's size... at least it isn't now. Back in the day when my great grandmother was alive, we called her "Big Grandma." The reason being that Grandma Charlotte was a peanut of a woman at 5'1" (with big shoes on) and Great Grandma Hester was much taller at 5'10". In my mind, that was one taaaaallll lady! Both gma's lived in the same house with Big Gma living downstairs. Since they lived in the same house, "Grandma" just wasn't sufficient. To differentiate, we came up with "Big Grandma" for Big Gma. Both of those ladies were very skinny, but to me, Big Gma was an amazon of a woman. Well, the tradition has just stayed with the Bane side and my Gpa goes by "Big Grandpa" now.

Big Grandpa was absolutely enchanted with Wyatt. His memory has started to go, but the day we were with him he was very lucid and he was glowing as soon as I put Wyatt in his arms. He talked to Wyatt & coo'd at him for at least an hour. I will always remember the smile on his face when Gpa got to meet my son! Gpa could not get enough of Wyatt. It was great because Gpa told me about when I was little and how I'd sit on his lap for hours when I was that tiny. We had a great time visiting and I had Vicky take a bunch of pictures! Big Grandma Fran had to be convinced to hold Wyatt, but once she had him, she had the most beautiful smile on her face. She let Gpa spend the most time with Wyatt, but I'm pretty sure she fell in love with Wyatt too.

GGpa also enjoyed his time with Wyatt. He snuggled with Wyatt and talked to him for several minutes. I think Wyatt is great-grandchild number 17! With each one, Ggpa's heart just about bursts with pride & love. I was so thrilled being able to share my son with him! I'm looking forward to the time Wyatt will get to spend with his great grandparents when we move back to AZ in the fall.

I will get a photo album uploaded soon to share all the pictures of Wyat with his "Greats." :)

No comments:

Post a Comment