Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Super mom to the rescue!!

Just a fast note to give everyone some updates.

Surgery went well. We were in and out pretty quickly. They were a fantastic group of docs and I had wonderful care. The nurse was very sweet and even gave me her home phone number as I was leaving. She heard our story about all that is going on and offered help to fetch groceries, run errands, or anything.

I have had a lot of help show up over the last week! My friend Nicole has brought us dinner and is ready on call if I need another. Adriana has been BEYOND AWESOME and has let me, Wyatt, and the dogs (yes, even the dogs!) hang out at her house every day while David is at work. She is my legs. She takes care of me, feeds me, changes Wyatt, and just makes sure I am doing well. She has picked me up at our house, brought me lunch, kept me company, listened to me complain, and so much more. Ft. Hood PWOC has called me and they are available for meals, help, encouragement, a day out, or a grocery run! Sarah came up from Austin yesterday to hang out, drive me to get a new cast, to the chiropractor, and she cooked dinner! We watched the Dancing with the Stars finale and laughed over the www.ihategreenbeans.com Bach'ette recap. It was a fun night!

My sister has been the biggest help. She took the initiative to find babysitting for her kiddos and someone to help out at mom's house. She then declared that mom was coming out here to help me. That means so much to me since Vicky has had to find back up babysitting several times over the past few months already. She is willing to deal with the behavior "bonuses" her kids will give her since grandma isn't there for their normal routine. Mom & dad got here this afternoon around 3:30pm, Dad was on a plane 2 1/2 hours later back home. Mom is here for about a month. We are cozy in this apartment, but it's do-able.

Command has started for David. He's already busy with pre-deployment plans, Soldiers, training, and all that jazz. He's had to dive right in. I went with him on Friday to meet everyone. I thought I'd make a lasting impression and showed off my crutches prowess by falling in the HHT building. Yah--I'm that cool! Haha!! I hit a wet spot with my left crutch and down I went. I hit a couch on the way down. I'm sporting quite the bruise from it. Since my motto is "go big or go home" I decided to fall AGAIN on Friday when I got to Ady's house. I didn't quite guage the step on the patio right and down I went. Poor David--I'm going to give him a heart attack. He's ready to pack me in bubble wrap until I'm healed. I've definitely kept him worried these last few weeks.

My ankle is healing really well. I've already had to get a replacement temp cast since the swelling went down so fast. On Tuesday I get my long term cast. I'm looking forward to the support a lighter and full cast will give. I'm still hurting pretty good. The incision of the surgery hurts as much or more than the break. The doc said that's pretty normal. Every day I'm feeling more and more like myself.

Thank you all so much for your prayers, calls, emails, prayers, encouragement, prayers, thoughts, and prayers. Can you tell that we are feeling the prayers? It really is making a difference. Please keep them up!! Thank you to my friends who were figuring out ways to come help me for a week! It really means so much to me!

Tomorrow Wyatt goes in for a check up. I'll post some stats on him and new pictures as soon as I get a chance!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you're mom is there to help you and that you have such good friends there. And I love that you seem to be keeping your sense of humor through all this! You had me cracking up with this post. But I hope that's the end of your falling down! Take care of yourself and I will come see you when you get to AZ. You're superwoman and the best Army wife ever! ;-)

    ReplyDelete