Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Today is Wyatt's due date!

It's hard to believe that today is the day we expected our little man. In some ways, it seems like he's always been with us and in other ways it's hard to believe we've had him for a whole week!

-------> Wyatt hanging out while the kitchen gets packed.

We have had a very big week. We are making progress on the moving part courtesy of my mom and my friend Heather. They have both been life savers for me & David. David's been working still trying to out-process and tomorrow will be his first day of paternity leave. I'm looking forward to having him home.

Wyatt's had his first bath (and several after that), been to church, had his first doctor's appointment, and then another, been to mommy's doc appointment, watched as the house gets packed, and more!

Doc appointments: Wyatt got me concerned on Saturday when his eyes were crusted shut with yellow & green gunk. The whites of his eyes were gray and he just looked miserable. We found an after hours pediatrician clinic. They were WONDERFUL. When I signed in and they asked how old he was (5 days) they immediately took us to a separate room so we didn't have to wait with all the other sick kiddos! They got us in & out really fast. The doctor was wonderful and Wyatt just has some clogged tear ducts. We were given instructions on tear duct massage & got a prescription for some eye cream to keep it from getting infected.
Today Wyatt had his one week check up. He came in a 7 lbs, 3 oz!! It's a relief to know that this nursing thing is working! The doctor was very impressed and didn't expect him to be doing so well. He is not jaundiced anymore at all--the doc said that it usually takes a lot longer for babies to "whiten up" (his words) when they are breast fed. He said, "Wow, you have great milk!" I've never had quite a compliment like that before. haha! The doctor was very happy with Wyatt's progress and we'll see him again in a week.
My doc appointment yesterday went really well. I got my staples out, so I don't have a zipper anymore! The incision is healing fantastically and I'm all steri-stripped now. The sensation is starting to come back and I'm wishing it was still numb. I'm still hurting quite a bit if I do too much. Sadly, "too much" isn't much at all. It's tough for me to sit back and watch everyone else working around me--especially since we are trying to pack and get a move going. However--the good news is that this morning I weighed in at only one pound over my pre-pregnancy weight! I'm excited and can't wait to get into my old jeans! I actually put on a pair yesterday and they fit--but because of the incision I couldn't sit in them. Soon I should be back in my regular clothes!

Wyatt's been a bit colicky at night. I'm trying to figure out if it's anything I'm eating. It's hard to tell yet. However, we've discovered that if we give him a bath when he starts to get upset he will settle and have a much better night. His favorite part of the bath is getting water on his head! It's hilarious to watch. He will stop crying and his eyes roll back into his head. It's adorable! Wyatt LOVES being naked (well, only diaper) and wrapped in a towel or blanket. After he gets all cleaned he & daddy snuggle and they both love it. It makes my heart melt!

Wyatt's a great sleeper so far. We are very spoiled. Nursing has gone really well and I'm so thankful. It could have been so much harder since he was started with a stomach tube and then to a bottle. I know that not all babies will transition from a bottle to nursing. We are so blessed that it's going so well!

We've been abundantly blessed with friends from church bringing dinners to us! We have had some DELICIOUS dinners and are so thankful for all the love that people have for us. Thank you for everyone's prayers, thoughts, notes, calls, gifts, and more. We are so lucky to have so many friends and family who loves us so much!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy he is doing well! He is gorgeous Kristina! I look forward to seeing him when you are back at Hood for your short stay.

    Jordan had the tear duct problem when he was a newborn. I did the massage religiously and it did help a lot. Keep up the excellent work Momma!!!

    Nicole Dunn

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad all is going well! Hopefully I'll get to meet Wyatt when you come to COS! Hey, if you haven't read Baby Wise, it's a great book. But we didn't fool with all the feeding schedules. We just took the part about putting baby to bed while awake but drowsy. I literally have the best sleeping kids in the world: they're 7, 6, and 5, still nap each day (or stay in their rooms quietiy for 3 hours) and sleep exactly 12 hours each night. Our third kid was sleeping through the night (8 hours) by his second week!

    ReplyDelete